Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lovable Companions.

I've been trying to get things together to do my next Hollywood At Home post which will feature Greenacres, the estate of Harold Lloyd but in the meantime I thought I would feature some stars with their pets since I haven't done so in over a year now.  It's still too hot to do my winter fur posts and Shirley is in time out right now so let's have an Awwww moment.

Ava Gardner with her Siamese cats. She really was talented wasn't she? Whoever said it's impossible to herd cats while teetering on the end of a diving board? Pfft!

Douglas Fairbanks Jr. spends some time on the beach with his buddy. Now that's a dog! (Somewhere Joan Crawford is trying to corral her gaggle of Dachshunds through tears) 

Debbie Reynolds with her fluffy little dog. (The one on the left!) That's Eddie Fisher on the right.

Mary Carlisle and her Pekingese baby. Poor thing having to compete with 10lbs of ruffles and sequins. 

Anna May Wong with what I think is a dog or it could be a goat. Whatever that is it needs a vet or a groomer with a few hours to kill. Does anyone know what kind of animal that is?

Ginger Rogers, out for a walk with her doggie. Her dog looks like it's thinking
"You were perfect then you had to go and add the hair net! I'll never understand  humans!" 

Joan Crawford with her poodle. You know that cute little dog is thinking "Why me? I thought she was a Dachshund person!"

Van Johnson and his over fed cat. Or maybe it's just the lighting on both. That cat has an attitude. I bet it's eying an expensive rug to tear into.

Norma Shearer with her bunny. You just know she whined to Irving for a bunny to match her coat.  What..A...Diva!

Jeannette MacDonald is doing her best to annoy her dog. The only thing worse than dogs in sunglasses are dogs in sunglasses and hats. 

Ella Raines has such a cute little doggy. I just hope she didn't drop it when she got up. Her heel looks like it's tangled up in the prop net. 

Randolf Scott has rustled up a couple of dogs. They look like they're ready to eat the photographers face off. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!
Page



16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi cinemarion,
      Good to see you again. Stay tuned for more in my pet series and my Hollywood At Home will be back soon. : )
      Page

      Delete
  2. You get a look at the real person when they are with their pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW,
      That's so true! My dad had my parents dogs up here (I've mentioned them here) while my mom was in the hospital for her surgery and I got to spend a bit of time with them. I love those little guys so much but it's a bit painful to see that they're getting older, having ailments.

      I hope your dog is doing well.
      Page

      Delete
  3. What a coincidence! I just saw this on Tumblr, Cry Grant walking a siamese cat: http://classichollywoodcentral.tumblr.com/post/31914940986/cary-grant-takes-his-siamese-cat-for-a-walk
    I loved Ella Raines' skirt! And Norma's bunny!
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le,
      I have that pic of Cary. It cracks me up. Nothing like seeing a virile man with a little cat. Siamese cats seemed to be the preferred breed of the stars. At least hairless cats weren't popular then. Those things are just scary looking.

      I hope you're having fun over there in your gorgeous summer weather.
      Page

      Delete
  4. The Jeannette MacDonald photo reminded me of a bit of info I happened on in a magazine not long ago: Americans spend over $300 million per year on Halloween costumes - for their pets!?! And everyone knows those pets HATE being decked out in costume. Think of the good that #300+ mil. could do in the world...

    Ginger's dog looks like a very happy pooch - Joan's looks scared (no surprise).

    Even though Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.'s dog is impressive it pales next to its gorgeous owner.

    Great pix, Page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evie,
      I was just speaking with one of my neighbors last weekend about her dogs Halloween costume. It's a bee costume with the antenna head piece. Of course she said her dog hates it and won't keep it on. (Show me a dog that does like those annoying get ups) Someone bought my parents an elf and a Santa costume for their dogs a few years ago and every time my mom brings them out during the holidays we all collectively tell her to just put them away.

      I knew a lot was spent on pet wear etc but that is an unbelievable amount. As you pointed out, it could do a lot for saving animals, animal rescue.

      One actress that always looked like she adored her dogs was Carole Lombard. Then Jayne Mansfield loved her little chihuahuas too. Joan's dogs must have endured a lot of cigarette smoke. : ( I agree about Doug. He was one good looking man.
      Page

      Delete
  5. You can't leave out Basil Rathbone here! He owned seven dogs and some goats or something, and wrote a poem when one of them died :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi The Great Jazz and welcome!

      I do have a couple of photos of Basil with his dogs but I don't know about the goats. Ha Ha

      I'll be sure to add one during my next pet post.
      Thanks for stopping by and please return often. There is a lot to see in the archives as well.
      Page

      Delete
  6. Fun post, Ms. Page. I hope Debbie Reynolds' dog took a big bite out of Eddie Fisher's ... uh ... private parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becks,
      Great minds think alike! I almost wrote something similar. What a cad!
      Page

      Delete
  7. OMG you're amazing!!!! I love this!!! What a cool subject to post about. Animal's and their amazingly cool artistic owners. Love it. Also a funny, because of his vulnerability with his pooches is Hitchcock and his 900 dogs lol. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coley!
      Good to see you back. I adore the old star candids and especially seeing them with their pets.

      Have a great weekend!
      Page

      Delete
  8. Ann May Wong's dog is an English Spaniel - guessing it's most likely gray and black - it moved (looks like shaking it's head) right when the photo was snapped. I would like to follow your fun blog but I only follow via email subscription and I don't see any link for that. Can you put one up please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. RE: Ginger Rogers - that's not a hair net!!! Those were really fashionable and called snoods! My mom and aunts were still wearing them in some of my early memories of the latter 40s!!!

    ReplyDelete